The Sierra View Local Hospital District was formed by resolution of the
Tulare County Board of Supervisors on October 21, 1947 to be a beacon
of healthcare in Porterville.
Original Hospital Building (1958)
A Timeline of Sierra View:
February 1957: Construction for Sierra View District Hospital (SVDH) began at its present site.
March 1, 1958: The new 42-bed hospital opened its doors for the first time.
1985: After 30 years without any significant growth, a three-story inpatient
tower was constructed at SVDH.
1990: To offer oncology treatment and care for Porterville’s residents,
a cutting-edge Cancer Treatment Center was opened.
1995: The five-story patient inpatient tower was completed this year, commemorating
a major milestone for the hospital’s expansion and creating a lasting
landmark for Tulare County.
2003: Sierra View opened its Medical Office Building (MOB) on Pearson Drive just
north of the main campus to offer outpatient services while also creating
more office space for staff.
2005: The Cancer Treatment Center doubled in size after extensive remodeling
and was renamed the Roger S. Good Cancer Treatment Center.
2007: To expand the services provided within the healthcare district, Sierra
View opened its outpatient Dialysis Center located just north of the MOB.
2014: Although still part of the Sierra View Local Healthcare District, Sierra
View District Hospital underwent a name change and became Sierra View
Medical Center (SVMC).
2016: SVMC was awarded Baby-Friendly Designation in recognition of their efforts
to create a safe and comfortable environment for both mother and baby
while at the hospital.
February 2017: With high patient volumes seen in the Emergency Department annually, Sierra
View’s Urgent Care facility opened its doors within the MOB to evaluate
and treat non-life threatening injuries and illnesses.
April 2017: After years of planning and development, a Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory
was added for heart related issues and imaging.
January 2018: Sierra View Medical Center announced its purchase of land to develop a
Rural Health Clinic in Strathmore to open in 2019.